31 March 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 24


The sky turned black at 5 o'clock. We knew a storm was coming. Sitting in class with a student, the room went dark. No lights. He quickly left the building and I followed not far behind him.


The rain fell like the ocean was emptying into the street and I had forgotten my umbrella in the car. I grabbed a spare from the downtown classroom as I fled out the door where the water was making its way up.


I dashed down the deserted sidewalk, my heels filling with water, and took a shortcut through a back-alley – rapidly being filled-up with water by the overflowing storm drain.


Once in my car I turn on the heat – it's a humid evening, but I needed to dry my clothes.


The only sounds back at home are the thunder and rain shattering against the clay-tiled roof. The shoji light up from the illuminated dragon that darts across the sky. The thunder shakes the house. I wonder how long it will last.

No comments: