19 January 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 10

This weekend we were blessed with the arrival of typhoon Shanshan - otherwise known as typhoon #14. My sister and I have been wondering what the difference between a typhoon, cyclone and hurricane are -- now I know: when a tropical storm originating in the North Pacific Ocean becomes more then just a tropical storm it's classified as a typhoon. When a tropical storm originating in the Atlantic Ocean becomes more then a tropical storm it's classified as a hurricane.

Last night I awoke to the loudest wind I've ever heard -- almost like the sound of a train. The house was shaking and swaying and it sounded like our shutters were about to be ripped from the house. The wind uprooted everything in our bedroom (we'd left the windows open) -- clothes, art supplies all thrown around the room. I quickly got out of bed and closed the windows to stop the wind and horizontal rain from coming in the house.

There was no damage to our house, though all of our gardening objects (pots, watering can...) were in different places around the yard. Our bamboo and Japanese maple took a bit of abuse from the wind, but I think they will recover.

It doesn't sound like anyone in our area was hurt, but just an hour away there was quite a bit of devastation.

No comments: