19 January 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 5 (a personal vent)

In America we make a big deal about race. We go out of our way to not offend any minority races and we go out of our way not to single anyone out. Race in America is such a non-issue that it's an issue.

Meanwhile, in Japan, if you aren't Japanese you are a foreigner and you're different. You get looked at and occasionally people want to talk with you to practice their English. You get singled out, but in a very non-issue way.

By the way – Daniel got denied a Japanese driver's license twice because he's a foreigner. He didn't miss anything on the written exam and only got marked down 2 out of 100 points on the driving test. Before the start of the driving test the instructor says, “When you come back tomorrow...”. Does this mean that foreigners in this country are set-up to fail?

Today I experienced a little “foreigner discrimination” if you will, when I went to the post office to send money to my credit union in the states. It had taken me a good amount of time to fill out the form and when I brought it up to the counter the man made me re-write the form because he thought my 6's looked like 4's. “Is it because I'm American?”, I asked knowing he couldn't understand me. I wanted to give him my business card and invite him to one of my English classes so he could learn the difference between a 6 and a 4. It's always men that give me a hard time.

Let's blow this Popsicle stand – we'll maneuver this roadblock.

No comments: