19 January 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 18

7 January | 8:45a

As I was leaving French class last night, in the NHK parking garage, there was a bright flash of light. The kind of light you'd imagine when you're heading to the 'other side'. The light was immediately followed by a thunderous roar that shook the concrete structure I was in. I drove my Diahatsu Mira home in a storm of horizontal snow and wind gusts around 80km/h.

I didn't have a very blissful sleep that night. All night the wind was snapping our shutters against our house like rubber bands.

I awoke to a bright flash of light. Our entire bedroom was illuminated in what my mind could only place as an alien abduction (we all become X-Files characters in dreamland). The piercing light was again followed by a roar of thunder.

I crawled over Daniel, opened the shoji screen that covers the window above our bed and peered outside into the night sky that was ripping through the emerging daylight. There was a layer of ice on the window, formed by the clinging horizontal snow.

Were we getting hit with another typhoon? That's what I thought, but alas, 80km/h winds just sound louder at night.

No comments: