19 January 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 15

"In 1492...the Indians and pilgrims came together for the first Thanksgiving.”

Well, at least that's how our fractured version came out when we were explaining it to 9 Japanese friends of ours over a mad feast of chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, sushi and pumpkin pie (all homemade by yours truly, minus the sushi that Masako made). We quickly realized that story involved the Spanish and no pilgrims at all, so the story went awry but the idea was all there.

Our guests arrived with “Thanksgiving presents” in hand. We didn't tell them that you don't give presents for Thanksgiving, because the Japanese love to give gifts and we love to receive them. When I saw the lovely cashmere Louis Vuitton scarf that Masako brought me I was in awe. She whispered in my ear that it's a fake she picked-up in Korea, so now I love it even more!

My grandmother would have been proud – pumpkin pie made from a pumpkin not a can, gravy made from pan drippings and a simple roux (just like she taught me). Dinner was filling and fierce – and I soaked up the compliments.

No comments: