19 January 2007

The Ant

I killed an ant this morning. I was putting in my contacts and saw it making its way up the side of my contacts case. I wiped it off the case and smashed it with my thumb – just one gentle thump and it was dead. I left the ant there.

Later that afternoon I went into the washroom to pop a pimple and noticed the ant was still there. Feeling a little guilty for killing it, I pondered the relationship between insects and humans.

I then noticed 3 more ants running past the body of the deceased. I moved in closer for a better look. One of its ant brethren (we'll call him Wilcox) was trying to pick up the body of the fallen. My powerful thumb-stomp stuck it to the counter, and Wilcox was having a hell of a time moving the deceased. Again, feeling a little guilty I carefully unstuck the dead ant from the counter so Wilcox could move him.

Feeling a notable joy, I watched Wilcox pick-up his fallen friend and (with a little struggle) carry him away.

1 comment:

Britton said...

That's a truly touching story. Only you Ingrid, could make something like that seem so beautiful...and to even include the pimple popping...you are a true maestro!