19 January 2007

Adventures in Japan no. 9


I'm sitting at my laptop on a hot, humid evening and am checking my email and drinking crappy iced Japanese coffee. I have some nice American roots blues music playing – overall a very pleasant, mellow evening.

Out of the corner of my eye I see something move in my bedroom. It's big and it's black. I was thinking, “What kind of bug got into our house this time?” after countless confrontations with beetles, cicadas, cockroaches, June bugs and other nasty things that fly.

I walk into the bedroom and I'm struck with panic. There is a bat flying at lightning speed around our bedroom. It is circling the room, flying up to the ceiling and down to the ground. It swoops at me and I throw myself to the ground and grab the nearest object to defend myself with: a French textbook. I'm wildly waving this textbook in the air as the bat swoops and madly flies around our room. Seriously, I'm under attack and I fear my life as I know it is in jeopardy!

The bat lands on the window screen and is trying to get itself back outside. Finally it comes to a resting place. I've scared the hell out of it and its scared the hell out of me. We're both exhausted and need to rest. The bat positions itself in an upper corner of a wall and I position myself on the couch, not letting the bat out of my sight for a second.

I call my husband and he's teaching class – no good to me at the moment. I sound desperate. I'm panting into the phone, “I don't know what to do!”. The school manager pulls into the driveway and I yell to her from our 2nd story window. Jitsuko comes upstairs with a plastic bag and carefully pries the bat off the wall and puts him outside.

The bat was actually kind of cute and I feel like the crazy American woman who can't handle the unexpected – or more accurate, I can't handle creatures that fly.

No comments: